Subject: [Leica] Re: 280 = 300?
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:59:33 +0000

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

> The 300 2.8 is a 280mm lens, that's what Eric was talking about.

In the interest of keeping the facts straight and having just acquired a number of
older magazines that cover many of the 300/2.8's out there, I took a look at the tested
focal lengths. In the two tests I've found so far, the Canon FD 300/2.8 and the
Tamron 300/2.8, the tested focal lengths were 290.00 for the Canon and 297.25 for
the Tamron. The Canon lens, if I remember correctly, is the same formula as the
current EOS version

The Leica R4 test I found outlines the common parts of the R4 and the Minolta
XD11 as well. Minolta supplied the castings with the Copal made shutter and most
electronics complete. Apparantly Leica made the front mount casting and the body
top/bottom plates, as well as the prism and eyepiece optics. The Minolta XD11's
prism was evaporated silver, ccording to its test (as the R4's were).

If anyone is interested, I'll report more info as I find it.

Danny Gonzalez