Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm f3.5 Summaron-M
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:08:31 EST

In a message dated 98-01-25 17:51:56 EST, Robert writes:

> Can anyone comment on their experiences on the use of the 35mm f3.5
Summaron-M
>  with color slide film?
>  Also, can I use my 12538 hood with this lens?

                  I have the LTM version of this lens and have used it with
slide film many times, including with a bayonet adapter on an M6, where it
makes an amazingly compact package.  It is a sharp, constrasty lens with
excellent color rendition...I should point out that my sample luckily happens
to have no haze or coating marks at all that might affect the performance.
I'm not sure if this lens is optically the same as the M version;  I just saw
one yesterday with the removable goggles, and even the lens alone is
definitely much larger than my screw mount so perhaps they are totally
different lenses.  I have used the 2.8 Summaron M, though, and thought it
performed admirably compared to a nearly-same-vintage Summicron.  All my
references are with the lens stopped down 2-3 stops.  I'm assuming if you're
considering an f3.5 lens that speed isn't a motivating factor and you'll
probably not use it wide open often.  Hope this helps.  Also, the Summaron I
saw had a 39mm filter, so I'm guessing the hood should work, but it's just a
guess.