Subject: Re: [Leica] V-35 Prices?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 15:48:19 -0600

At 10:47 AM 1/25/98 -0500, you wrote:

>How long do you make it before we will see a leica M6 digital? Digital
>cameras (less expensive ones anyway, lack manual focus, manual exposure,
>bracketing, sharp lenses and more. Comments?

Never. The R8 yes, but not the M6 or it's successors. The R8 would be easy
to convert to digital. But I would guess a couple more years, and sensors
will have resolution to match Leica lenses. they already have it, but it's
too big for portability of the R8/M6.

>Also, when you take a Leica photo, how do do you get it into Photoshop or
>equivalent? What is the final result or customer for your photos?

I use a Kodak 2035 plus scanner. Was about $8,000, but they're discontinued
so they're selling right now for about $4,000 I believe. Scans at 2000 dpi
are around 18+ megs. Very fast, very reliable. I didn't pay for it. (Whew!)

It's not state of the art, but at 2000 dpi it makes gorgeous prints from
our Kodak Dye Sublimation printer (also $8,000) up to 8x10 inches. But
that's for reprints and for copy prints to make portfolio slides from. My
normal final output for my employer is a CMYK Tiff image that goes into a
newspaper. Or a slide/print that goes to a magazine (I do some freelancing
on the side) for editing and final output.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.