Subject: Re: [Leica] Chance from R to Nikon?
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:34:49 -0600

<<<<<<<<<<
 And if you DO switch to non-Leica AF, go with Canon. The lenses are much
 better. I switched form Canon to Nikon because of the F5, but then I
 learned about Nikon's strategy with their new ultrasonic lenses which I had
 figured would spread throughout the line. Forget it, it's never going to
 happen. Nikon is second class and Canon has no intention of giving up its
 technological superiority to them ever again. I made a mistake for a great
 camera, and a mediocre company.

Now, now, Eric. Some of us here also read your posts for over a year to the
Nikon list. You'd have jumped all over any poster referring to Nikon as a
"mediocre company." (Remember our exchange of posts when I expressed a
preference for changing apertures on the lens while you preferred an
on-body dial?)

Nikon makes some lenses and cameras which are better than the equivalent
Canons and Canon makes some lenses and cameras which are better than the
equivalent Nikons.

Personally, I prefer Nikons because they still offer a couple of excellent
mechanical cameras. I find the FM2, at a smidge of a prism hump bigger than
an M6, particuarly appealing. And Nikon's new AF 85 mm f/1.4 lens has the
most wonderfully smooth Leica/Zeiss-like rendering of out-of-focus areas
and gradients that I've seen in a non-Leica/Zeiss lens (though the Nikon's
focus feel is vastly inferior).

But neither company is "mediocre."

Larry