Subject: [Leica] CZ v CZJ Sonnars
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 13:01:00 -0500

At 10:52 AM 1/24/98 -0500, Ting F Lee wrote:
>Any idea which is a better lens
>50 mm 1.5 sonnar (contax) or
>50 mm 2.0 Jena sonnar???

"Better" is a hard term to define.  The 1.5/50 Sonnar whether in its early
version or the slightly-recomputed West German version is a stunningly fine
lens -- I have several of the Jena lenses in Contax RF and LTM and am
constantly impressed by the ability of this lens to produce a crisp image
of fine resolution and sharpness, even wide-open.  It was designed in '31
but is still a worthwhile optic today.  (I should ask Erwin to do a
comparison run between the 1.5 Sonnar and the 1.4 Summilux -- I have them
both and admire them both deeply.)

The f/2 version is slightly sharper in the middle apertures, but the
difference isn't as great as would be expected.  I have a slew of these, as
well, and find all versions of this lens admirable.

Both designs came from Ludwig Bertele, arguably the premier optical
scientist of the century.  Zeiss did a neat ad campaign when the 2/5cm
Sonnar was introduced, showing Bertele and an assistant standing by the 3
foot tall stack of paper representing the calculations which went into the
design.  And an even niftier campaign emenated soon thereafter when the
1.5/5cm was brought forth:  "Mehr Lecht!", a slogan which spoke deeply to
educated Germans, as these are reputed to have been Goethe's last words --
"More Light!"

It is a tribute to both designs that they were used as regular professional
lenses for almost forty years and are both still in production in Russia.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!