Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 mm M lens comparisons (long)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 12:01:55 +0100

Sorry, Francesco,

I've not enough experience with R lenses. Besides, there are three
different 50 mm types only, the old Summicron, the current, and the
Summilux. I love and prefer the rendition of the old (SL) Summicron,
specially in b/w pix. The current is comparable to the current 50 M
Summicron, and there is only one 1.4/50 R lens - unchanged optical
formula since it's introduction in 1969.

If I remember correct, I suggested the 1.4/35 asph M Summilux and
1.4/75 Summilux as a first choice to your condition of both, high-speed
lens and extreme sharpness at wide-open. The 1.4/35 asph M Summilux
shows no vignetting, at no f-stop, and you don't need a truck for
transport as with the corresponding R lens.

Alf