Subject: Re: [Leica] deception -- None
From: The Barkers <rbarker@polarnet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:36:54 -0800

>>And, the focus
>>barrels become too stiff when real cold hits. (I tested by cold soaking
>>over night at 40 below before going down to Antarctica, and the M barrels
>>were too stiff.)
>
>Some people prefer AF lenses on manual bodies for cold weather use because
>they don't get so stiff.

I think the AF lens on manual bodies was an interim solution.  Now, cold
photogs have gained confidence in the reliability of electrical cameras -
as long as they keep batteries warm.  One chap here carries a back up
battery pack for his EOS warm and changes it out quick.  I've stuck with
mechanical cameras however.

Jim

James H. Barker (Jim) - jbarker@polarnet.com
High Latitude Documentary / Ethnographic Photography
Fairbanks, Alaska