Subject: Re: [Leica] deception -- None
From: The Barkers <rbarker@polarnet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 21:37:50 -0800

>Jim, I suppose I should be able to figure it out from your in
>involvement in Ethnographic Photography but what spontaneous work do you
>use your non SLR's for and what non-spontaneous work do you use your
>SLR's for?
>
>I am still trying to decide if I want to buy a new M6 or a new SLR.
>
>I do want the camera to work when it is cold out.  But probably not as
>cold as Alaska.  And I do not want automatic anythings.  And I do like
>small and quiet and minimum vibration and=85  And there is no way I am
>going to carry big lens in my pack as I ski and snow shoe and bicycle
>and in my kayak trying to keep the gear dry.
>
>I like the M6 and think I am about to order a new .85 from Eli at Wall
>Street.  Unless you or someone else can change my mind.
>
>I enjoyed my Retina's for 40 years but even though they are headed back
>home after being fixed I do not expect them to last very long before
>breaking again.     Dale
>--
>$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $
Dale -  In cold conditons when needing to wear gloves or mitts, I find M
cameras to be difficult to use quickly because of the problem of making
sure the rangefinder windows are not obscured by them.  And, the focus
barrels become too stiff when real cold hits. (I tested by cold soaking
over night at 40 below before going down to Antarctica, and the M barrels
were too stiff.)    So, I prefer to use SLRs in rough conditons.  And, I'd
hate to try loading an M camera in bouncing waves or at 30 below.  Much
prefer flip open backs of SLRs.  Also, the flexibility of SLRs and zoom
lenses in inclement conditions is a tremendous benefit.  So, the M6 with a
35 1.4 takes the fast indoor darker and warmer weather stuff. By the way,
Electronic cameras do well in the cold if they can be equiped with remote
batteries that can be kept warm. under a coat.
    Jim

James H. Barker (Jim) - jbarker@polarnet.com
High Latitude Documentary / Ethnographic Photography
=46airbanks, Alaska