Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] S'cron performance
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:07:58 -0500

Charlie:

I'll agree this is dificult to understand. I am talking about the
_impression_ of sharpness. Fine details can create an image that looks
softer. Anyone who uses photoshop can tell you about this. Unsharp masking
is exactly redefining the relationships between similar tones to make them
less similar giving them the appearence of sharpness.

So it also goes with lens design. The Leica designs favor resolution of
small details, something you see on fine grained slides or in carefully
reproduced prints. On softly focused machine prints those details aren't
resolved, so the lenses that have harder contrast with less detail can give
a greater appearance of sharpness. I shot Nikon for years. The Nikkors make
lovely 4x6 proofs, some of them better than those from the Leica glass. At
950%, full magazine page size, all of the details are resolved and the
Nikon images look soft, because the fine details aren't there. At 950% the
Leica images have lots of detail, and that's when you see the reason for
shooting Leica.

Tom