Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] S'cron performance
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:10:26 -0500

Tom:

An image appears sharper when the difference between two adjacent tones is
greater. Look at eyelashes. When a lens renders them as black, all of them,
they make an eye look crisp. A Leica lens will more likely render those as
a range of dark tones, but not all black. As first glance the eye looks
less sharp, because there is no hard edge to define the eye. In fact, if
you look closely, you can count more eyelashes. With a Leica you can see
every one, which for my taste creates an image that is much more like our
own vision.

You can see this effect easily in a B&W photograph, but it's also at work
on color film.

Perhaps someone else can help me explain this better.

Tom