Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] S'cron performance
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:56:52 -0700

I've experienced this too, with some '80s M glass, and noted that it tended
to flare rather easily, but in a controlled manner, which generally resulted
in some localized loss of contrast, not a clearly-defined blotch on the
photo. The same might be said of the pre-T*/HFT Zeiss glass that I use. (I
hope to try the newer stuff sometime!). Used properly, I find the results to
be maybe technically flawed but aesthetically pleasing!

I think my new 50 Elmar is "sharper" and "contrastier" than the Canadian 50
Summicron I once owned, though it works well.

 I like Fuji's and Mamiya's MF cameras, and here, tend to create
compositions in which a great sense of sharpness is an asset. I'd agree that
some of these lenses do appear sharper than my Zeiss or Leica lenses (maybe
sharper than real life), but I don't try any of that fancy
out-of-focus-background stuff with 'em unless said background is typically
dark and low-contrast. Points of light shining through out-of-focus foliage
doesn't look so hot. With my M and Zeiss glass, I'll chance it--if it
doesn't flare excessively, it tends to look pretty good.