Subject: [Leica] Bay Area Leica (conclusion)
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:12:21 -0700

Thanks to everyone who sent in their "what photo-related things to see"
suggestions for the SF Bay Area: I just got back from a couple of grey,
rainy (but warm!) weeks there.

I won't claim to have really understood the Friends of Photography exhibit
on Pablo Picasso's photograms, but the photo essay of the artist was
enjoyable, and of course, so were the ongoing exhibits of Ansel Adam's
works, and those the Group f/64 members. The lighting on certain works
appeared to be deliberately dim, which did not show the full brilliance of
the images, I thought.

Mountain Light Photography had a number of Galen Rowell's recent California
works on display. His (evidently lesser-regarded) shot of trees along the
Merced River evokes fond memories of hot, hazy afternoons in Yosemite
Valley!

During a too-brief visit to Palo Alto, I was fortunate to be shown Thomas
Mangelsen's works, in display at Images of Nature. I had seen one of his
images before, but his name was new to me. And what images they are:
Sweeping vistas of nature, beautifully captured on large, brilliant
Illfochrome. I found his "Season Passing" to be particularly striking,
despite the fact that it contains no bears, birds or other animals.

I didn't spend much time looking at hardware, though I spent about 3 minutes
in Adolph Gasser's (nice Rolleis) and did some good window shopping at
Discount Camera, where an Olympus OM-1n sells for $400+. Missed Bear Images
Photographic, but did have around 1/2 hour to see Keeble & Schuchat. Much
impressed with their pro store, what with the comprehensive selection of
tripod heads and QR plates (I was delighted to find that the Arca-Swiss B1
was in stock, and you can bet I didn't leave without one! I'll be calling
Really Right Stuff next paycheck). Found their simulated studio setup of
camera stand, 4x5 monorail, softbox, etc, to be lots of fun to check out,
and found myself eyeing a Wisner Expedition with perhaps a little too much
interest, and the metal Toyo field camera with viewing hood was...very nice,
if a little hefty.

I didn't forget to check out their other store, with it's Leica collection:
What a collection this is! This is the first time I have seen a mint, black
M4, a grey IIIc, a cutaway CL, an MP and a repro UR-Leica. One of the 50mm
lenses looked strange, almost dull. Got to wondering if this was one of
those special dummy display items that I had heard about

Unfortunately, my newish 50 Elmar fell off my M4 while shooting in
Chinatown, landing on it's backside. Some metal is bent, but the lens seems
functional, though rough. I hate to be without the lens for a couple of
weeks, but it *is* covered by the Passport warranty. Dunno exactly how I
could've unlatched the lens. Despite the sickening, dull "thud" that it made
as it hit the wet pavement, I'm surprised that only one or two parts are
clearly damaged, one of them, the bayonet, only very lightly.

Golden Gate Park in the fog/rain is very pretty.

Next time out, I think I'll be wanting to spend some time in the nature
areas, whether they be mud flats, Point Lobos or wherever. Wet, grey weather
probably would make for fine photos and minimal crowds :-)