Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica in New Orleans?
From: flynn@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (Timothy Corcoran Flynn, MD)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:11:22 -0600

>Greetings LUGers,
>
>        I'm off to New Orleans next week and wondered whether any list
>subscribers knew of interesting photo-oriented shops.

Unfortunately, there really are not any good Leica shops here in New
Orleans.  Us New Orleanians are too busy having a good time and partying to
support such a store.  There is one store which carries some older leica
items but it is run by one of the weirdest people I have ever met and could
not recommend anyone visit the establishment.  The prices are quite high,
the quality low.  The store is called Alfredos cameras.  I have no idea who
actually sets foot in the store.

           any good used book stores with >strong photo sections?).

There are two used book stores that have some interesting used photo books.
 See Steve at Dauphine Street Books in the French Quarter ph. 504.529.2333.
 He has a good understanding of photobooks.  You might also pick up
something interesting used at Crescent City Books ph. 504.524.4997 also in
the Quarter.

There is an really excellent selection of photo books at "A Gallery for
Fine Photography" at 322 Royal street ph. 504.568.1313.  Josh Pailet, the
prop., has an excellent selection of new and older and even rare
photobooks.  He also has bimonthly exibits that are really worth seeing.
Be sure to drop in just to see the prints.  You might be tempted to buy a
one!

For a decent selection of new current photo books many of us go to Bookstar
near the Hard Rock Cafe in the Quarter.  Ph. 504.523.6411.

Have fun in New Orleans and enjoy our unique city. Be sure to catch some
live local music and sample our restaurants.  Just be careful -  don't let
the Gators getcha!

Timothy