Subject: [Leica] 2x "R" Extender at Camera Show.
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 18:19:10 -0500

Gabe wrote:

<<<<<I came across a 2x "r" extender at the camera show. Does anyone have
this extender and use it?  How is it?  Does one lose any quality when using
it?>>>>>>

Gabe,

It works just fine and I have been using the same one since they came out.
The APO version is better only because it is APO configuration. But if you
can get the one at the camera show for a good price, go for it.

I use a 2X and 1.4 at the same time on a 280 2.8 and that makes an 800 f.8.
You lock the 1.4 to the lens first, then the 2X on next and mount the whole
sheebang onto the body and away you go hand holding an 800MM lens!:)  The
quality is quite acceptable, although I'm sure there would be some on the
LUG who would shoot it down.:)

But then I'm more concerned in getting the acceptable picture than how many
wigglies per mm there are. :)

I thought you might be interested that when I tried the two extenders
to-gether for the first time, I locked them on very carefully and worked
off a tripod and I thought "damn that looks pretty good!" So I shot a roll
dropped at lab and then went and phoned Leica Canada at the time.

I asked, "Will I break anything if I put the two extenders to-gether or is
there any concern that it wont work?" Of course this is after I've done it
right! :) Now normal folks on the LUG would have had common sense and
phoned first. :)  Well you guys know me by now and I make the call after
the fact.

Technical person at other end. "No not likey you'll break anything, but it
is not recommended!" Me, "Like why not, as I just did it and everyhting
still seems to be working OK and the meter functioned, so what could be
wrong?"

"The image will not be of Leica standards!"  Me, " Ya well OK, but it sure
looked great in the viewfinder and I'll let you know what the slides look
like!."

The bottom line is it worked just fine and all of a sudden, I now had an
800mm lens!:)

Go for that 2X as you'll have lots of fun with it.  I've used mine on the
35-70 3.5 and it is veeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting! :)  Then if you
want to get at something really different ad on the macro adapter with it:)

ted