Subject: Re: [Leica] 2x "R" Extender at Camera Show.
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:26:56 -0600

Gabe,
I have the same extender except for the SL/2.  I was taking a trip to
Alaska and wanted a lens longer than my 180.   The dealer recommended
the extender rather than buy a big telephoto.

My experience with it has been great.  It's biggest disadvantage
obviously is that you lose 2 f-stops when using it.  I used it on an SL
with a 180 mm lens and Kodachrome 200 in Alaska.  Remember to use a
tripod with these longer combinations.

I've also used this extender on a 60 mm Macro Elmarit and the results on
Kodachrome 25 were amazing.  Every brush stroke on my wife's Hummel
figurines is clearly visible and the results are hardly discernible from
using the prime lens by itself.

I'm tempted to leave the 180 home on my next trip to Europe and use the
extender with the 90 mm SummicronR when I need something longer than the
90.

Bud Cook