Subject: Re: [Leica] Ring strobes - AND ASPH
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:02:00 -0500 (EST)

From Donal Philby:

>Interestingly, the best bellows would include the ability to shift...

Are any such bellows obtainable? (I'd like to know!) It might be easier to
get a used monorail and fit an SLR to the back or work with roll backs,
unless 35mm is required (slide show, cost factor...).

>Alternatively, and easier to control, is to get a big sheet of fairly
>heavy gauge velum and make a funnel around coin and then place your
>light or lights around it to suit.  Easiest to use tungsten film and
>lights, especially if you don't have polaroid back.

Yes. excellent suggestion. I used such a homemade tent on one occasion when
I did coins. You might want to keep some black paper or flock paper on hand
to put strips or sections *inside* the cone in case more directional sight
is needed, esp. for very shiny coins.

BTW, some very old copper or bronze coins have the opposite problem, that
is, they're so dark they suck up all the light. The cone or tent lighting
is the only way to go for these. Thanks, Donal for reminding us of the
right way to do it!

Nick Hunter