Subject: [Leica] Re: Serial #'s & Lens Interchangeability
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:00:40 EST

 Henry - No original unmodified lens for the Leica IA carried a  s/n
 of its own, as the lens was not interchangeable and was considered
 to be just a part of the whole camera although they did have a factory
 temporary # on the inside,  usually scribed or written in pencil.

 With the advent of the unstandarized IC in 1930, the lens was given
 the last 3 digits of the mother body.  By 1932, interchangeabilty of
 lenses was made possibile by standardization & the advent of 35, 90
 & 135 lenses led to the numbering of lenses; mostly above the serial
 number 100,000 - The earliest that I am aware of is about 68,000 and
 I own one with a 96,000 s/n.

 Marvin Moss