Subject: [Leica] Does the R8 viewfinder really display 93% of the image?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:13:19 -0500

Pascal wrote:

<<<<However, I have quite often experienced that feet are "cut off" on my
pictures (slides or photos) although I am quite positive that they were
completely visible in the finder at the time the picture was taken. >>>>>

Hi Pascal,

I haven't seen this kind of thing at all.  May I make a quick suggestion
and save you some time and chopped feet.

Put the camera on a tripod, frame very carefully in the view finder that
the feet and heads are within the area seen in the viewfinder and shoot a
frame or two. Make a note of exactly where the feet were and not that you
"were sure they were in the viewfinder at time of tripping shutter".

If you can do this vertically and horizontally then you'll know for sure
what you see is what you get or not what you get. Do this on cheap film and
do not have the film mounted as then you'll see the full frame.

The other is without film and I don't know that this would be as effective
without a bunch of fiddling.

As before put the camera on a tripod "EMPTY".  Frame the image as before
with feet where you see them in the viewfinder, then open the back of the
camera, open shutter on "T" and hold the shutter open. place a piece of
ground glass or easier a cut piece of "wax paper" as a ground glass at the
film gate and see what is there on the paper.

Personally I'd opt for real film and negs or slides to look at. But the
camera must be on a locked down tripod and a note of where the feet are for
each frame.

I guess it's always possible you could have a wonky camera and the
viewfinder isn't covering what you think it covers.

And never mind what the manual says. It's looking at what you see is what
you get on film that counts.:)

ted