Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB:LEICA DR 50mm f2 SUMMICRON-M
From: robert <louzan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:25:47 +0000

Bud,

No offense taken, glad to answer.  Well, there are always at least two sides
to everything.  First, if I had the money and wanted to pay retail, I
wouldn't buy the lens privately.  Instead, I'd go to NYC (15 min. ride) and
buy it from a reputable dealer who would offer a 15 day MBG and a 6 month
guarantee.

Dealers have to pay salaries, rent, electricity, publicity, and still make a
small profit if they want to stay afloat.  As for buying privately, I try to
be as honest as I can and tell everyone up front that I am paying dealer's
price (partly to avoid dealers themselves on the web.)  Anyhow, a lot of
folks offer stuff one never even requested; others are very vague in giving
serial numbers, whether it's Canadian or German, and above all, what the
condition of the lens is.  From this side of the computer, I can only
speculate on the condition of the lens, which I almost always overrate.  A
lot of people fail to consider edge separation, haze, fungi, coating
problems, etc.  And of course, they are not going to give ma a 6 month
guarantee.  Repairs are expensive, anywhere from $50-200, for an old lens
which perhaps cannot be fixed.

What bothers me is when I make an honest offer, am turned down, and then -
a few weeks later - the equipment is sold to a bad dealer (for a fraction of
what I offered) who will sell it for 5 times more.  And, of course, I won't
give anyone the hassle that a dealer would in buying it. Finally, the most
important issue is in sending money by mail.  How do I know I'm going to get
a lens and not a brick?

There are no fixed rules on buying or selling prices, just what one person
is willing to sell it for, and what the other is willing to pay.  If you
decide to sell a lens of yours, then... well, let me know!

Regards,

Robert