Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 50 mm question
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:58:53 EST

> Hi All!
>
>  Just bought a Summicron 50 mm today. It is a 1969-1979 model (second
>  optical design). According to J. Eastlands Leica M Compendium there a two
>  version of this lens, a 7 and a 6 elements design. Does any of you know
>  what kind of lens mine is? Serial number is 2518961.
>  This book also states the differences this specimen and the current optical
>  design so minute as to be of little consequence. Is this true? Erwin what
>  are your findings?
>  =========
>  Bert Keuken
                                Lens is 1972 6-element/5 group design.  I have
one of these and was going to sell it after I bought the latest version, but
the swing-out polarizer won't fit on the new one because of the pull-out hood.
(I wish I'd bought the version in-between these two: latest optical design, no
built-in hood).  Since keeping both lenses and shooting both I can attest to
some noticeable improvement in edge sharpness and contrast to about f/4...more
so than between the last non-ASPH 35/2 and its immediate predecessor, but my
no means disappointing.  By f4-5.6 (my most common daylight shooting aperture)
you'd have to be very determined to see any difference.  There is much, much
less difference between your/our '69-'79 lens and the latest than comparing to
the first ('54-'68) which is still a very sharp lens but better for B&W than
color (for me, generally speaking) due to its lower contrast.