Subject: Re: [Leica] 28 mm alternatives
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:12:24 EST

> I am looking for opinions on two 28 mm M-lenses:
>  Elmarit 28/2,8 (first version)
>  M-Rokkor 28/2,8
>
>  My reference lens is the Elmarit  28/2,8 (second version), that I used some
>  years ago. I was not too impressed with contrast on F/2,8-4,0, and I wonder
>  if any of the above lenses are any better/or equal in sharpness/contrast.
If
>  anyone are using them, are you happy with it?
>  Thanks in advance for any reply!
>
>  PS I know that the two latest versions are the superior ones, but as
always,
>  there is also a question about funds...
>  /Hans
                          I can not offer any opinion about the M-Rokkor.  The
1st version 28 Elmarit, like the 21 S/A 3.4, has a rear element which projects
too deeply into the body to permit metering with the M6.  My 3rd-gen (49mm
filter) 28 Elmarit improves corner sharpness and contrast as you close down
until about f5.6, but it is nitpicking beyond f4 and even wide open it is 99%
as contrasty and only shows the minutist bit of edge softness under high
magnification.  I paid just under $1000 for it about a year ago, in near-mint
condition with the leather pouch, hood and both caps, in the original box.
I'm sure one with less cosmetics would sell for less still.  When I found a
spare hood for it I bought that, too, because it's discontinued and plastic.
It is a bayonet-type hood and if you don't remember to push it in before
turning it you can inadvertently unscrew the front of the lens (someone I
spoke to actually did this!).  The hood has ridges for a rubber hood-cap (like
the 35 ASPH and others) but Leica says none was ever made.  (BTW, If anyone
knows if one of the other caps fits I'd sure appreciate knowing.  I hate
removing that hood any more than I have to and I'd like a cap for it.)