Subject: Re: [Leica] t-max pre-soak?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 01:29:31 -0500

Most B&W film, panchromatic in particular, contain 'dyes' that tend to
absorb certain parts of the spectrum. I would suspect that this is the case,
that the dye is washing out before you develope the film. If you use a
'coupling' developer, like p-aminophenol ( as in Rodinal), and you don't
pre-wet, the effluent you dump looks like grape kool-aid; that is because
the 'dye' is coupled in the developer to a visible anilone, water soluble
form. Tri-x in D-76 sometimes has a magenta cast which will wash out
eventually. It is harmless, and since it ( the dye) serves to absorb parts
of the blue spectrum, for which the film is most sensitive in order to allow
absorbion of green and red light, only during exposure, prewetting the film
should have little effect.

dwpost@msn.com