Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summilux R
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:18:57 +0100

Good luck with your new beauty, Leo - you selected the best 1.4/50
R Summilux Leitz/ Leica has to offer!

It's optitcally unchanged since 1969. The outer shape was changed
to the current one version in 1978. Other (outer) changes are the
"Safari" version, or the golden one.

Short comment on both the other lenses you mentioned:

As far as I know, the corresponding, 1971, M Summicron belongs to
the 3rd (officially: 2nd) generation. It's the first black one
(except the rare black M 2 version), which came out past the
coll./rigid (=1), and the rigid chrome or NF Summicron (=2).

Different, both the 1971 R Summicron or R Summilux, belong to the
first generation. In my experience, the 1971 R Summicron was as sharp
as the black M Summicron but had an increased contrast (the current
is even more sharp).

Alf