Subject: [Leica] RIP CLE
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 13:04 +1100

Andras,
The CLE has some kind of weakness in one of the boards associated with the =
exposure meter. Mine required very NEW batteries to work and I was =
changing them more and more often. I believe small cracks develop in one =
of the circuit boards, and then the camera cannot be repaired.  Funny =
though, even when the LEDS did not light up properly, the camera still =
seemed to work on Auto OK. This was on top of the increasing "bubble" =
separation on the 28mm lens, and the failure of the (fantastic) flash 6 =
years or so ago. Minolta would not consider fixing the flash even then, so =
as the poor electronic heart began to have too much atheroscerotic cracks =
in its board, I flogged it off. Got more for it than I paid, so I was not =
too unhappy, but I sure do miss that camera, it introduced me back to =
rangefinders and quality optics :-(

Alastair.