Subject: Re: [Leica] Any more connections to get the Black Star Book?
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 02:17:29 +0000

At 1:38 PM -0800 on 1/9/98, Gabe wrote:
> Hi there.  I'm having a bit of trouble finding the BLACK STAR BOOK at
> any stores in my area.  My Costco didn't carry it.  If anyone has any
> ideas, let me know.

As of this evening, the Borders in Palo Alto had one copy left of the
Black Star book.  But it's gone now.  It's on my table.

Great book, incidentally.  I had actually seen it at bookstores
before but never even noticed the title.  The book was invisible to
me because it had Fred's photo of Kennedy on the jacket.  It's a
perfectly fine photograph, but it makes the book look like yet
another book about the Kennedys.  I have nothing against the
Kennedys, but there surely have been an awful lot of Kennedy
hagiographies and I can't help but wonder if possibly this is why it
was remaindered -- I think people have perhaps hit saturation with
coverage of the Kennedys and like me, they may have taken the book
for a Kennedy hagiography.

On the other hand, the book is just filled with compelling and
beautifully printed B+W photos, which would have drawn me to it
immediately had one been on the cover.

- -Patrick