Subject: [Leica] Canon 50mm f1.8 lenses
From: BBAIN@imnet.com (BBAIN)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:38:38 -0500

               OK, here goes.

               The original Canon lenses were called "Serenar."  The 50mm
               was originally an f1.9 in a collapsible mount.  Later, there
               was a chrome rigid f1.8, and later (late 1950s) a "black"
               modernized version with a lighter aluminum and brass mount
               with a fairly wide black knurled focusing ring.  The
               redesign from chrome to black was across all of Canon's LTM
               range, but I believe that the 50mm f1.8 was redesigned in
               the late '50s around the time of the Canon VT (1958?).

               I used the Canon f1.8 for many years.  It's a fine lens,
               certainly better than the Summars, and the late black ones
               were doggone good, although I think the Summicrons were
               slightly better, if 1/3 stop slower and heavier.  As with
               all older lenses, the condition of the lens can affect its
               image quality (haze, etc.).

               Filter size was 40mm, which makes it tough to find filters
               and hoods today.

               Bill