Subject: Re: [Leica] R zoom lens...
From: TM <spaniel@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 10:51:18 -0800

Ted: Thank you for your insight. It corresponds with what I suspected
all along, and it brings to mind a persistent irritation I've had for a
long time: Both Wall Street Camera's Shutterbug ad and Leica's 1997
Handbook of the Leica System show that Leica has discontinued making any
fixed focal length R lenses above 280 mm. Instead, Leica has created the
APO-TELYT-R modular system. In order to buy into that system one must
shell out $7,740 for the minimal configuration alone. Gads, that leaves
long-range, fast telephoto lens affordablity amongst wealthy amateurs
and pros as well as men and women who shoot pictures for a living and
can deduct camera equipment expenses on their tax returns. It's no
wonder Leica is called by some the Apple Computer of camera
manufacturers and why Leica's annual revenues stink compared to its
Japanese competitors! Additionally, it was ridiculous last year when
Leica issued public stock, thereby implying they have a likelihood of
pleasing stockholders with wondrous sales and revenue increases in the
months and years to come!

I've been using Leica lenses since childhood (my father used and still
uses an M2), still think they are outstanding, and understand that
Leica's production methods are outstanding, but for Leica to price so
many of its fans out of the long-range tele lens format is absurd!!!