Subject: Re: [Leica] Seeking advice on lenses
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 11:07:49 +0100

Charlie,

you own 4 very nice lenses, of which you use 2 currently (I guess).
Both, your Summilux and your Tele-Elmarit, agree to the actual
versions (optical formula), and you'd get hardly any advantage
if you changed them into i.e. the current Summicrons (50 and 90).

Additionally, the US prices for Leitz/Leica glass are rather down
(compared to the European ones), and you wouldn't get more than
USD 400 for your coll Elmar or USD 300 for the Summarit, according
to the IPG.

So, what would you want to buy with the USD 700? A 90 M Summicron?
- - It's known for it's creaminess, but at f 2.0 it's rather comparable
to the f 2.0-results of your 1.5 Summarit. So I guess, you wouldn't
like it, because you prefer the Summilux to the Summarit. And beyond
f 2.0? - There your Tele-Elmarit shows comparable results. So, you
would change 2 nice lenses for something which you already have.
No deal, in my mind. You loose more than you win.

Further, I guess, you're not into M wide angles (2/35 with goggles,
about USD 600-700, C condition), and the other interesting lenses
are more expensive.

So, without additional information, I would keep the lenses,
and change nothing - except using all (!) of them extensively :)
And, if I remember correct, you still have your Leica III b
with the 2/50 Summar, which is eagerly waiting to be used :))

Alf