Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summicron questions
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:09:18 -0800

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Joebikes wrote:

> Greetings, LUGers, I am new. I have another question about the f2 50 mm
> Summicron. How does it stack up against older 50 mm lenses, especially
the 5cm
> summarit f 1.5. I have the Summarit and use it, but often wonder if I would
> see a difference with the modern f2 lens. I would like the idea of a lighter
> lens. The Summarit weighs a ton. Joe Stephenson.

I use a Summarit a lot.  These lenses have some problems, but I do like
mine.  The front coating is very soft, and mine looked like someone had
been ice skating on it, so I had it redone by John Van Stelten, with great
results.  My lens also needed an internal cleaning.

I agree with Roy Zartarian that the lens is prone to flare, especially at
the widest apertures.  It also suffers from reduced contrast at the widest
apertures.  But stopped down to f/2.8 or f/4 it produces sharp, beautiful
images with very smooth out-of-focus regions, and one has the widest
apertures available for emergency use.

The 50/1.5 Jupiter may have a better optical design, but in the three that
I have used the build quality was poor enough to really bother me -- loose
rings, poor engraving, etc.  If these are still produced, perhaps a recent
one would be of better quality.  The Summarit is of course beautifully
made, and built like a tank.

- -Patrick