Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 18:02 +0000 (PST)

Damian wrote:
> I know there was a thread a while back concerning the ideal tripod.
> There
> was some praise for the Gitzo Mountaineer (G1228 I think).  Any further
> experience with the durability and stability of this unit?  How well
> does
> it work on uneven terrain?  I'm looking for something lightweight and
> yet
> stable and adaptable to rough terrain, water, etc.
> Thanks and best wishes for the New Year.

The 1228 is *very* short, even with the column up all the way (not a
good idea) you have to crouch to see through the finder.

Unless you're using a camera with a WLF, get the taller one. I think the
number's G1349. Don't forget that there's a special lightweight magnesium
alloy head to go with them (1275M, I think).