Subject: Re: [Leica] shutter light leaks
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:35:38 -0800

Jesse Newcomb wrote:

> Here's another bit of information:
>
> I DID see light leaks around the upper and lower edges of the shutter curtain
> with a 21mm Super-Angulon, and also with a 35mm Summicron.
>
> I did NOT see light leaks [on another roll of film] with a 135 Hektor mounted.
>
> Interesting, because the Super-Angulon gives probably the most tangential ray
> pattern toward the shutter edges - aiming the light outward in all directions
> from the rear element and straight into the shutter curtain channel. Still,
> this really seems like such a glaring defect in design - I'm waiting to hear
> about what others have seen.

Jesse,
Gosh now it is out of the bag.  Everyone thinks it's the lenses.  But
those "leaks" are really the Leica secret to contrast control.  They are
responsible for the instant preflashing (such as art copy people use on
4x5s)  that adds exposure below the d-max level in the shadow area and
gives those rich Leica shadows.

The only problem appears when you try photographing flashlights aimed at
a WA lens.

When I am gonna do that I switch to Nikon.  The Japanese are still in
the dark about preflashing with the shutter light bypass technology.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego