Subject: [Leica] Leica Lens Coating Problems
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 01:08:53 EST

Hi to all:

Jeff, I dont know if you caught my post just before Christmas, but I just
returned a new R35mmf2 ROM lens due to coating problems. The front element had
obvious coating problems.

Since my post, I received a couple of EMails from other LUGnuts that have had
problems with lens coating issues recently. There are some rumors that quality
control has gone down hill a bit since the company went public, but then
again, perhaps they are just having 'problems' right now. The surprising thing
it not that they may be having problems, but that they are shipping the lenses
with obvious problems. Personaly, this concerns me - because my paying for new
Leica lenses is just in the assurance that quality control, such as coating
and centering, is near perfect.

I would have no complaint if it was a fluke. Everyone has a bad day and a
'soft' lens might get packed up by mistake. But, what I am hearing is that its
popping up with a number of LUGnuts. Even if there are only four of us with
this experience as of late, out of 500 LUGnuts, that is a lot. Considering
that the 'count' is eight lenses. As I understand it, the score is (qty 4)
R100 Macros, (qty 1) R28mmf2.8 ROM, (qty 1) R80mm ROM? (qty 1) 35mm f2 ASPH M
and my (qty 1) R35mmf2 ROM - all within the last few months.

Even if the coating problems on my lens did not effect image quality - and I
was not going to waste time finding out - the resale value of the lens would
have been effected as it was just not looking good.

I am hoping that 98 will be a better coating year at Leica.

Pete