Subject: [Leica] Re: Street Photography
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 20:39:54 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Hadyn Park Road <elmer@gpo.sonnet.co.uk>
How do other people go about this while
>minimizing the risks of getting mugged for the camera but without burying
>the M6 so far beneath a jacket that the shot would be gone by the time the
>camera was out. Black tape over the Leica logos? Any hints by email on
>street photography would be welcome.

If you're going after shots of tough characters in bad neighborhoods, I
can't help you. But my experiences with the Leica M in London were very
tame: No one looked, no one cared! I had a small bag that didn't look much
like it contained valubles, and the M, I often kept in my hands, preset and
ready to fire at a moment's notice. I fire the camera quickly, without a lot
of fussing with the controls, or, where a person is involved, any outward
sign that I'm more than casually interested in getting a shot of them. It
may sometimes help to pan up to your subject, snap quickly, continue
panning, and feign interest on some unrelated item. Or, if you are steady
enough, to shoot one-handed, in the manner of the holiday snapshooter.