Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 13:55:41 EST

What are your requirements and equipment?  I've amassed what I refer to as a
tripod orchard and this because like camera bags I've just never found one
that does it all.  For nature macro work there's nothing that beats a Benbo,
and it is great for dental photography (probably medical also) where you have
to get the camera over a table or a patient.  I use it with a Canon (Velbon)
ballhead that has a Kirk arca clamp permanently attached. For heavy systems
like medium format, and for long (but not gigantic) telephotos and Nikons, I
like the Gitzo 320.  I have a Manfrotto (Bogen) "Super-Pro" pan-tilt head and
a Studioball, each mounted on its own short post for quick changing.
The Gitzo 1228 carbon-fiber is a great middle-of-the-road tripod which I use
with either a B1 or a smaller Bogen pan-tilt for everything except the heavy
artillery or the Leica M.  For the latter, (and for Nikon F3/FM2 and shorter
lenses) I really enjoy the lightweight compactness of the Gitzo 026 with a
Kaiser "Backpacker" ballhead.  I replaced the center column with a Kirk short
post.  Although this tripod goes only about waist high, it is surprisingly
sturdy.  Finally, whenever I go with the Leicas I have a Manfrotto table-top
tripod with a small ballhead and a removable extensible center column tucked
into a pocket.  This unit is much more compact folded than a Leitz table-pod
and I find it to be just as sturdy.  This little tripod functions as a
shoulder stock and a pistol-grip as well as a table or wall support.

Doc