Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 10:21:29 -0800

At 12:01 PM 12/28/97 +0000, Claes wrote:
>Damian wrote:
>
>>I know there was a thread a while back concerning the ideal tripod.  There
>>was some praise for the Gitzo Mountaineer (G1228 I think).  Any further
>>experience with the durability and stability of this unit?  How well does
>>it work on uneven terrain?  I'm looking for something lightweight and yet
>>stable and adaptable to rough terrain, water, etc.
>>Thanks and best wishes for the New Year.
>>Damian
>
>The venerable Swedish magazine FOTO has a tripod test in its new January
>issue.Of the eight tripods rated as outstanding, three are Gitzos! Gitzo
>Mountaineer 1349, Gitzo G320 and Gitzo G500. The mountaineer is by far
>the lightest, but also outstanding in price!
>
>Claes

I use three tripods heavily. First a Gitzo 347. This is my main tripod. If
I need two tripods, my second is a Bogen 3221. If I have to pack a lot of
equipment for a long distance, I carry a Gitzo Mountaineer 1349 as my main
(and only) tripod.

I use a Gitzo pan-tilt (two handle) head on the 347 and Arca Swiss B1 ball
heads on the 3221 and 1349. I use Really Right Stuff (similar to Kirk)
quick release plates on all of my cameras. The B1's have the quick release
built-in. I have a quick release adapter on the Gitzo pan-tilt head.

Works for me.

Jim