Subject: Re: [Leica] Elves at Solms had a bad day...
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 97 16:15:42 +0100

On 23-12-1997 01:50 Myers Pete wrote:

>Its a sad tale. My new R35mmf2 ROM arrived today. Unfortunitly, the front
>element had some coating defects that were quite obvious in viewing the front
>element in bright light. Most of the defects were near the extreme periphery
>of the element, but there was also one pin hole size defect in the middle.
>
>It was sad to have to box it back up and ship it out! Mechanically, it felt
>wonderful - even better then my R28mm f2.8 ROM.
>
>Any one else have a new lens that they had to send back to Leica because of
>coating problems? It just seems so odd.
>
>Pete Myers

I know the feeling...

Well, I had also problems with two new lenses I ordered: R 28mm f/2.8 ROM
and R 80mm f/1.4 ROM. The first had mechanical problems, the second had
flaws within the lens elements and mechanical problems. Both were
replaced by Leica at no cost, but it took between two and three months
(and some phone calls and E-mails) to get everything replaced. You really
should object to accepting lenses with flaws. These lenses are just too
pricey to show any kind of flaws. I am sure Leica will make good on your
investment, as they did in my case.
Good luck.

Pascal

Message sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the world's fastest laptop