Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica ads in National Geographic ...
From: Woodwrkng <Woodwrkng@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 20:44:08 EST

>For Christmas, a very dear friend gave me the "Complete National
>Geographic" set on 30 CD-ROMs. After installing the enhanced 100
>megabyte index (!), I did a search on the word "Leica".  The
>super-speedy search engine returned a list of 116 Leica ads from the
>late 1920's through 1961 (with a conspicuous 11-year gap between 1938
>and 1949). Absolutely fascinating reading ("Leica cameras start at
>$60.00 ...").  I particularly enjoyed the ad introducing the M-3 with
>dual-range Summicron f2 for $438.  How things have changed.
>
>Aside from the ads, the NG set is a real treasure trove. It contains
>scans of every page from 1888 through 1996 (I expect I will have read
>every article before the R8 motor is released). The interface is a bit
>clunky, control over printing is limited and the text isn't always
>legible but the photos look fine and the search engine is excellent. At
>$200, not a bad deal.

Hi there
This is Gary... you didnt sign your note so I dont know who Im speaking with
but..
I was thinking of getting that NG set too.. and was glad to get the critique..
however what the deal with the unledgeable print? ... you cannot read the
articles? or does this refer to just the smaller print...?
thanks
Gary