Subject: Re: [Leica] MLU for R8
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 23:11:41 -0500

Jim:

I hate to disagree with conventional wisdom. Mirror vibration is worse at
1/15 to 1/4, but certainly there at all speeds. On medium format cameras
the mirror slap is legendary. In side by side tests  at 1/125 (Velvia,
Camera on a tripod) I can see the difference in sharpness between mirror
locked-up and not, with a 4x loupe . I've seen it with both Canon and Nikon
SLRs.  I can't speak for Leica SLRs, because I haven't owned or used one.
But certainly a major part of the handholdability of the M cameras - at any
speed - is the lack of Mirror movement.

Tom