Subject: [Leica] 21mm finder distortion (was 21mm Super Angulon)
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:27:12 -0500 (EST)

This is a general question about distortion in finders for ultra-wide lenses
for M-Leicas.

Of all the 21mm finders for rangefinder Leicaas, are there any that have no
barrel distortion out at the edges of the finder?

I do not have a Leica 21mm but I do use a Canon 19mm/3.5 LTM/M-adapter on
my M6. Although the Canon 19mm finder is metal and extremely rugged, it
does have considerable barrel distortion around the edges of the images,
making it difficult to align the camera with verticals.

I surmised that Leica might have better finders, but when I tried out a
21mm finder accommpanying an (old style) 21mm/2.8, it too had barrel
distortion. Is there freedom from barrel distortion in anyone's (Russian
20mm, Contax G) 21mm finder.?

Michael Volow (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933