Subject: [Leica] Dale Reed's Post: 35 MM Lens for M6
From: CMUHLSTEIN@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:32:51 -0500 (EST)

I received a gift of a new grey market 35 ASPH Summicron with leather case,
lens hood and matching cap. TriState Photo in NY (See Shutterbug Ad) sells
them for under $1,200.  While I value the 5 year extended Leica USA passport
on my M6, I prefer used or grey market lenses.
The 35 ASPH appears sharper on larger b&w blow-ups at wider apertures. I
doubt anyone can tell the difference beyond f5.6.
The only reason to buy a 35 non ASPH is if someone sells the latest version
for around $600 to $700. Otherwise, your long-term value is better with an
ASPH as also evidenced by Leica continously changing many lenses to ASPH like
the latest  90 f2.8 and the 21 f2.8. Resale prices of non-ASPH should soften.
Good Luck,
Carl Muhlstein
P.S. On the lookout for a reasonably priced "User" Noctilux.