Subject: [Leica] Soliciting Suggestions: A Starter Kit
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:04:35 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

	I am brand-new to the list, haven't read very long, but I'm impatient
to make a purchase, therefore vulnerable...I even considered the Contax G2...
...could use advice.
	I've been a Nikon photographer for perhaps 30 years. Recently I've
become disinchanted with the new electronic lithium-habit systems. Looking
into my street bag can you advise me on a comparable Leica M system? Most of
my 35mm work is close-up, street & friendlies, sometimes landscape &
architectural details.

	Here's my basic street bag...Nikon bodies of various models,
otherwise it includes...

	24mm f/2.8
	58mm f/1.4
	105mm f/2.5
	Vivitar 283 flash

	I'm not married to 24mm over 28mm or to 85mm v. 90mm v. 105mm, but have
read with interest the discussion regarding wide lenses in the Leica M series.
21mm is probably too wide. I like faster lenses (who doesn't, I guess) but the
Nikon 85mm 1.4 is too heavy.
	The corallary question is, "Where do you shop for this equipment?" and
"How much should someone pay?"
	I thank you, in advance, for your help.

- -Gary S. Colby
colbyg@ulv.edu