Subject: [Leica] Elmar 2.8/50 Collapsible and Boowu
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:55:32 -0500 (EST)

Dear Colleagues,

I use the older version of the 2.8/50mm Elmar collapsible for the M mount. It
has a remarkable shade that clips onto the lens by depressing two buttons on
the ferrule. The ferrule was also threaded to take different types of hood.
It also permits the shade to be reversed. The ferrule also accepts the Elmar
lens cap.

While meandering in a midtown NY photo shop I also found a collapsible metal
shade that had the same thread as the Elmar. It contracted into a flat ring.
I now use them both. I've never been able to figure out how that metal shade
worked. It was made by an outfit I never heard of; altho I was told that this
outfit made an entire line of similar hoods for almost all lens threads.

Incidentally, the 2.8 50mm Elmar is custom made for the great Leitz Boowu
fixed focus close-up stand that is designed for flat copy in three very
useful sizes. The studs at the back of the Elmar lens tube fit into the
bayonet mounts of the Boowu's three collars. And, of course, the stand
supports the camera and is very stable. It ensures absolute alignment.

The Boowu itself is usually disassembled until actual use; therefore it's
very easy to carry in a briefcase. That 2.8 Elmar is one of the most useful
lenses Leitz made.

Bob