Subject: [Leica] RE: blind shooting
From: Norman C Aubin <Norman.C.Aubin@BTPN.TELEDESIC.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:42:38 -0800

Greetings to the LUG from a lurker!
	earlier  ted grant wrote:

> Subject: [Leica] More blind shooting discussion
>
> Cary,
> This being the case, that I may have offended a number of LUGGERS,
> please
> accept my deepest heartfelt apologies. And I most certaily will guard
> and
> choose my words in a more fashionable and appropriate manner in the
> future.
>
> Having said that, it doesn't change my opinion of film exposers who do
> not
> have the where with all to face their subjects face on and take the
> "motivational moment preceived"  through the view finder.

	<SNIP of lots of stuff>

> ted

Hi Ted,

comment.  It seems to me that the issue is not whether the picture
captures
what the photographer intended to capture, but rather whether he did it
in
an approved manner.

Since the only way to tell what manner he used to capture the picture is

to be told such by the photographer, the obvious solution is for the
photographer
to never, ever reveal it.  Then no one will know, and they will have to
judge the
picture solely on the content, and not on the perceived value of the
photographer,
and his intestidudinal fortitude in using one method of framing versus
another.

Kinda like asking the cop who won the gun fight with the armed perp if
he stood
up and faced him toe to toe, or took cover first.  We expect our heros
to conform
to our standards, and then we decry those who don't as less heroic, or
even
down right evil.

But I'll admit to putting the rangefinder on the table in the restaurant
and taking
pictures without lifting camera to eye, and getting some interesting and
occasionally
good pictures that way.  And then I manage to avoid having a fight over
it, or
disturbing anyone, and thats as important as the picture itself.  But I
promise
that I will never admit which ones were taken that way.

Oh well, just one more opinion in a sea of such, and I guess thats why
it is
really art, and not science . . . . .

take care all.

Norm