Subject: Re: [Leica] Point and shoot survey.
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:43:51 -0800

At 07:11 PM 12/19/97, you wrote:
>It is not always a good idea to use two or three thousand pounds (dollars)
>worth of camera for every picture taking project. Nor is it always possible
>or advisable to use something as large or slow in use as a Leica
>rangefinder camera or a 35m slr. Sometimes an pocketable autofocus camera
>such as a Minilux or Mini 3 is the ideal tool for the job. It depends what
>you're doing, and where you are.

Joe, what you're saying here sounds eminently sensible, but my personal
experience is different.  My wife has an Olympus Stylus Zoom, which is a
pretty good little P&S.  I have enlarged some prints from it, and the
little zoom lens is pretty sharp.  On the other hand, I HATE to use it.  I
can never figure out what it's focused on; when I set a focus point and
hold it, I have no confirmation that that's what's in focus; I don't have
any idea what shutter speed or aperture the damned thing is choosing; it
feels plasticky and makes unpleasant noises when advancing the film; it's
completely soulless.  I stick an M2 in my jacket pocket and I'm much happier.

- -Patrick