Subject: Re: [Leica] Durability of latent picture in the cold
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 01:48:43 -0500

I recall a PBS program on a 19th century expedition that apparent poisoned
itself from the lead solder in poorly made tins of rations, and Admiral
Byrd, as I recall was nearly done in by carbon monoxide poisoning from his
own generator and heater. I think that when anyone is in a particularly
hostile environment, that the effects of the chaos theory start to be more
evident: it takes less and less in terms of intervening factors to upset the
delicate balance between surviving and dying.... sounds like shooting a
wedding, doesn't it!?
I am ever amazed at what photographers like those nameless minions who
worked under the direction of Mathew Brady,  or photographers like Timothy
O'Sullivan who not only dealt with the inherent dangers of exploring
uncharted wilderness, but had to carry glass plates, a wagon load of
paraphenalia, and HUGE cameras tocapture their images. I can see why Ernst
looked for a better way!