Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: f 1.0/21 ... 1.0/35
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 20:35:32 -0800

Dan Post wrote:

>I was trying to go to sleep- hence the late hour of this posting, but I kept
>thinking about the problem of light fall off.
>Then it struck me. I was taught that the image of a '50mm' lens focused at
>infinity is the same size as the image formed by a pinhole 50mm from the
>film plane. The compound lens acts the same way, even though the optical
>center changes during focusing. If one imagines a line through the axis of
>the pinhole, to the center of the film, and that the visual field of the
>pinhole is illuminated evenly, then the light from the visual field will
>form a 'cone' of light from the pinhole to the film.
>If you further imagine that the light striking the film on the axis,
>directly behind the pinhole, has an intensity of, say, one or unity, then
>the light decreases as you move away from the axis as a function of the
>cosine of the angle from the axis. This, of course, holds strictly if the
>film plane is curved so that the distance from the center of the pinhole is
>the same at the center of the film as it is at the edge. However, the film
>is flat so the edges have a reduced illumination, not only due to the cosine
>rule, but the law of inverse squares. It seems that the light fall off will
>ALWAYS be greater in a wide angled lens from this simple fact.
>Now what surprises me is that one can get such good pictures from wide angle
>lenses, which must be a testament somewhat to the latitude of film.
>Now I'm going to bed! I got this off my mind! Thanks for listening

In optics these are part of the 'cos to the fourth' function that standard
construction lenses obey in a general way. With a bit of fudging this can
be compensated for to a small degree. If you want a lot better eveness of
illumination, retrofocus lenses are the ticket. You get a lot of other
problems, but eveness of illumination can be greatly improved.

Telephoto designs make matters worse, by causing more falloff than the
'cos-fourth' law dictates, but it usually doesn't matter much because
telephoto designs are used on long focal lengths, where the 'cos-fourth'
falloff is small anyways.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com