Subject: Re: [Leica]Elmar 2.8/50 Collapsible
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@x2.alliance.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 21:25:59 -0500

Jeff,

I have been setting it to B now in the bag because I learned that I can't
always get the battery that I want, not even the one I need (stone's?) at a
moments notice. I have a slight knack on guessing exposure but the meter is
a good re-assurer.

Steve

PS.

I got my first roll of film back from the M6 and the 2.8/50 Elmar. The film
was the 400CN C-41 processed film. Although the prints came through
blue-tinted from the 1-hour photo shop, they showed an exceptional
low-grain and broad-based tonal quality unlike any black and white I have
ever seen. I took a neg. of my daughter and blew it up on the insta-print
machine to 10x12 plus. This looks like TMAX 100 grain size on a 400 film!
The contrast and tonal range was superb, no significant grain to speak of.
The fabric on her sweater looked real where it was in focus (exposure made
at 2.8 at four feet). Outstanding combination. I am told that true
fiber-based black and white print media looks even better yet. I was very
happy. In fact, I looked at the backgrounds of some scenics I shots and I
could see individual corn stalks at near the horizon. In short, contrasty,
sharp, wide-tone range and all it needs is to get more and shoot.

Steve