Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: Bruce Feldman <feldman@tuj.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 18:52:17 +0900 (JST)

OK Ted,

So real men don't shoot "blind."  And can we not add that to the list that
includes "real men don't crop," "real men don't use auto-anything,"
etc.?  I, myself, the guy who started this beehive, have been guilty in a
recent post to this list of promoting the notion that real men don't use
in-camera meters!

But I would maintain that even when we use our eye what we really use is
our "mind's" eye.  When we become good with our Leica Ms, we use the
viewfinder for less and less.  We pre0-focus by feel, set the exposure by
feel, and, yes, frame in our mind.  We hold the camera to our eye for a
second to confirm what we've already done mentally and fire away.  Indeed,
isn't this one of the attractions of the M system -- the fact that it
becomes so much like anothyer arm that it isn't necessary toregard it as
an alien object that requires attention?  The question is whether it isn't
possible or desirable, at least sometimes, to take the next step and shoot
without checking the viewfinder.

I rode the crowded, confined Tokyo subways virtually every day for two
years and I found the same thing that Walker Evans found decades before on
the NYC subway -- that the only way to get anything good and not rape --
or *sometimes* "contaminate" -- the subject is to use a hidden camera or
to shoot blind with a visible one.  Therefore, I had to try to develop a
sixth sense of being able to previsualize this type of shot.  I am still
not good at it; nonetheless, like a golfer who makes a hole-in-one, I have
my moments and I take credit for them.  But if at all possible, I'll risk
embarassment, if not life or limb, to check things out in the finder.

Regards,

Bruce Feldman