Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 Prism Assembly
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 22:17:22 -0800

At 10:06 PM 12/17/97 -0500, Marc James Small wrote:
>At 06:29 PM 12/17/97 -0800, Patrick G. Sobalvarro wrote:
>>I don't
>>think this is necessarily a disaster (unlike a black RF in an M3, which I
>>have not heard of anyone being able to repair).
>
>I'm not certain what you mean by this.  These are 'repairable' but
>generally are replaced by a rebuilt prism assembly.

My info comes from VF 29:4, 4th quarter 1996, page 34, in the article
"Interview with Master Leica Technician Reinhold Mueller."  In this
interview, Mueller talks about particularly difficult projects.  He says,
"One of the technicians that I use is developing a technique to recement M3
rangefinder prisms, which were previously not restorable."  It sounds to me
like the technique had not yet been perfected at the time of the interview.

- -Patrick