Subject: [Leica] 8/16 Hologon Yet Again
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:53:46 -0500

At 09:05 PM 12/17/97 -0500, Dan Post wrote:
>Good question, but then I was looking in a book about lenses, and I saw the
>diagrahm of the Hologon 16mm/f8! A wide angle, but what a chuck of glass-
>the computer designed lens has so much glass in it that there is no room for
>an aperture/iris!

Well, 'computer designed' is subject to qualification here:  all lenses
have been 'computer designed' for the past several decades, so there is
nothing remarkable in that aspect.  Of course, being a Zeiss lens, it has
been designed and redesigned and redesigned a zillion times to get as close
to perfection as is commercially possible -- probably burned out a dozen
computers along the way, as Zeiss put a LOT of energy into this design.

The lack of an iris is a function of the Hologon design, incidentally, and
isn't caused by anything as mundane as mere mechanical location.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!